What do I do right after an accident?
Immediately After the Accident
- Stay safe. Assess the situation for your immediate safety.
- Stay in your car if there is a risk of injury or if moving might put you at risk of further injury.
- Move to a safe location if your car is creating a safety hazard or obstructing traffic.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident!
- Determine if there are any injuries.
- Call 911 immediately to report the accident and get help to the scene, if needed.
- Follow any instructions the police give you.
- Call your insurance company on your insurance card or call your our office at 614-655-5635..
- Follow any instructions given to you by your agent.
- Request a tow through your insurance company, if possible.
- Note the name of the tow company and location to which your vehicle is towed.
- Be courteous and polite, but do not admit fault.
- Take the names and car insurance information of any drivers involved in the accident.
- Only ask for contact information if the other drivers do not provide insurance information.
- Get names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Provide your name and insurance information to the police and to other driver(s).
Protect Your Identity!Give out ONLY the following information:
- Your name.
- Your vehicle’s make, model, year, color and VIN.
- The name of your insurance company, as well as your:
- Agent's name and phone.
- Policy number.
- DO NOT allow your license or registration to be photographed.
- DO NOT provide your address or contact information to other drivers, passengers, or witnesses.
- License plates of involved vehicles.
- Damage to your vehicle.
- Damage to other vehicles.
- Damage to property other than vehicles.
- Objects at the scene, including accident debris, skid marks, fallen branches, etc.
- Street signs or other landmarks to identify the accident location.
- Any contributing factors to the accident, such as obscured traffic signs.
DOCUMENT THE SCENE
If you have a smart phone or camera, take photos to document the scene if it is safe to do so. Include pictures of:
- Time and date.
- Weather and traffic conditions.
- Description of the accident.
- Description of injuries and damage.
- Details of police or emergency involvement